A recent report released by Persistent Market Research highlights the remarkable growth of the Modified Atmosphere Packaging (MAP) market globally, and gives encouraging figures for its continued profitability into the future as well.
According to the report, global sales of MAP were estimated to be over US$17 billion at the end of 2016. This trend is set to continue, with a predicted annual growth of 5.2%, to where it’s worth over US$25 billion by the end of 2024. This is exciting stuff, and it points to fantastic possibilities for expansion among existing stakeholders in the market, as well as opening up opportunities for new entrants into the arena.
As producers and users of Modified Atmosphere Packaging, we can sometimes forget just what a marvel of scientific research, innovation and technology this product actually is. We work with it every day, and we can sometimes be guilty of taking it for granted.
But the truth is, a huge amount of expertise and investment goes into taking control of that little bit of space surrounding the produce. The war for better quality fresh produce is fought on the battlefield of atmosphere control.
So, in light of the encouraging figures cited in the above-mentioned report, let’s remind ourselves just why this product is so phenomenally successful worldwide.
- Increased shelf life of up to 50% reduces food waste and improves product quality, driving greater sales and improved profits.
- New products are being added to the ranges all the time, including respiring trays and self-venting microwave packs.
- MAP is sustainable and environmentally friendly – during manufacture it has a low consumption of raw materials, a lower carbon footprint and reduced energy consumption.
- Materials used, such as polypropylene and polyethylene, are biodegradable and compostable.
- Preservation of fresh produce is done without chemicals or artificial additives, making it ideal for organic produce.
- Food can travel longer distances from source without the risk of the product being spoiled en route.
- It extends the growing seasons of certain fruits and vegetables, making it advantageous for both growers and consumers.
Mapflex International is a joint venture between international companies, and we strive to improve on the standard method of fresh vegetable packaging for large-scale retailers by offering innovative, game-changing packaging material and methods. To find out more on how you can tap in to the benefits of Modified Atmosphere Packaging, please chat to us.